…Governor Zulum berates the army over attack on his convoy
The Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum has challenged the Nigerian Army over an attack on his convoy in Baga town on Wednesday.
According to reports, Governor Zulum left Maiduguri Monday afternoon for the northern part of the state to monitor the extension of the food distribution programme to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) which he began earlier in July.
However, the governor decided to visit Baga on Wednesday, which is a fishing town on the coasts of the Lake Chad region but was attacked by gunmen who opened fire on his convoy.
The army has insisted though that the location has been wiped clean off Boko Hara insurgents, a place they have besieged for many years.
Read also: 11 killed, several injured in suspected Fulani herdsmen attacked village in Southern Kaduna
The Governor was forced to evacuate the perimeter as security agents on escort duties resisted the attackers.
Governor Zulum has then challenged the Commanding Officer in Mile 4, blatantly expressing his displeasure at the failure and incapacity of the military to purge Baga and environs of insurgents.
“You have been here for over one year now, there are 1,181 soldiers here; if you cannot take over Baga which is less than 5 km from your base, then we should forget about Baga. I will inform the Chief of Army Staff to redeploy the men to other places that they can be useful,” Zulum said.
“You people said there’s no Boko Haram here, then who attacked us?”
The Governor has since returned safely with his entourage to Monguno to continue the delivery of palliatives.