Wizkid has become a great Afropop influence across Africa
Wizkid, real name Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun is arguably one of Nigeria’s best Afropop export in recent times.
The singer rose to fame in the year 2011 after he released his hit song titled: “Holla at Your Boy”.
The singer started to record music when he was just 11 along with some other young talents.
They formed a group known as the Glorious Five.
Wizkid has performed in over 10 converts, won over 20 awards and was nominated for more than 15.
The singer has not relented in releasing hit tracks much to the admiration of millions across Africa. Some of his most memorable hits include: “Ojuelegba,” “One Dance,” “Tease Me/Bad Guys,” “Jaiye Jaiye,” and many others.
Here, we have provided 5 facts which you probably never knew about the Starboy:
1. HE USED TO BE KNOWN AS STARBOY: Wizkid before his coming into limelight went by the stage name Lil Prinz. It was this name he went by when he was still recording music with his five-man group known as Glorious Five.
2. HE HAS BAGGED OVER 15 AWARDS: The singer has won over 15 awards and has been nominated for dozens. Some of the awards which he has won include “MTV Africa Music Awards,” “The Future Awards,” “Ghana Music Awards,” and many more.
3. HE IS A FATHER: Although not officially married to anyone, the 30-year-old is reported to have fathered a child through a “Baby Mama”. He was alleged to have impregnated one Sola, a student at one of the universities in Nigeria, a charge the singer denied at the time.
However, 2 years after, he was seen in a picture with a 2-year old boy which he posted on his social media handle. Many assume the 2-year-old was his son, a product of that affair with Sola.
4. WIZKID WAS FIRST NIGERIAN SINGER TO HIT 1 MILLION FOLLOWERS ON TWITTER: As far back as 2014, Wizkid had become the first Nigerian singer to have had over 1 million followers on Twitter. Today, in 2020, he has over 6 million followers, an indication of his popularity and ballooning fanbase across the world.
5. HE WAS FIRST NIGERIAN SINGER TO MAKE BILLBOARD’S TWITTER CHART: Following the singer’s work with Drake, he got listed on the Billboard’s Twitter Last 24 hours Charts – the first Nigerian artiste to have been listed on this chart.