Relationships could be as tough as Mathematics sometimes, but these 5 things would help untangle the equation
Being in love could be one of the greatest things to happen to any individual.
But love is indeed a complicated emotion and getting involved in one could either bring you so much happiness or cause so much pain.
The mistake that most people make is that they dive head-first into a relationship thinking its just a body of water, but they sadly end up smashing their heads.
A relationship requires that one is mentally and psychologically stable to some extent and emotionally intelligent as well. But the good news is that you do not need to be born with any of those traits. You can put in the work and see your relationship bloom like flowers during summer spring.
Below are some of those things that would help you achieve that almost perfect relationship.
1. Effective Communication: Communication is one of the most important aspects of a person’s life. If communication, when used properly, could help an organisation run smoothly, how much more two persons involved in a relationship? Effective communication comprises effective listening and understanding. Listen to your partner, try and understand him/her, and watch your relationship blossom.
2. Compassion: I know you are already wondering what this means. Well, I’m going to tell you. During one of those hot quarrels, try your hands on a little bit of compassion. try to put yourself in your partner’s shoes. Deal with that raging voice in your head, focus on your breathing, focus on the issue at hand and not how to retaliate in an equally hot manner. Do not focus on the bad or abrasive words that are being said. Compassion really goes a long way.
3. Give Feedbacks: Feedbacks make relationships sweet and lasting as it gives room for improvement. Give your partner constructive feedback. There might however be times when the need to chastise would come up. Do this in the best compassionate way possible without breaking the TV or the glass cups. You should praise first, criticise and then, praise again. This way, your partner feels loved.
4. Acquire The Self-Awareness Skill: Self-awareness is an important aspect of a person’s life. It brings about positive results in a person. In a relationship, if both partners are self-aware, they would be able to recognise their mistakes, their shortcomings and their strengths. They also know when to apologise for their errors and when to act accordingly. Self-awareness makes partners conscious of themselves.
5. Finally, Make Use Of Those Sweet Words: Dump those stale words that you use every time and come up with more beautiful words. You should also dump that glum face you wear every time! Your mood has a way of affecting your partner which determines the general mood of your home.
All the 5 things that have been listed above applies to both partners. As you work on yourself, encourage your partner to also do the same.