Buhari commends security operatives over Kanu’s arrest, raid on Igboho’s residence
President Muhammadu Buhari has commented on the crackdown on Sunday Igboho’s residence, the arrest of Nnamdi Kanu commending security agencies for the operation.
The president said the level of professionalism must be sustained to get rid of kidnappers targeting students, rural dwellers, and citizens in the Northwest.
It would be recalled that the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu was intercepted from a yet-to-be-named country where he traveled to from Britain and repatriated to the country last Sunday.
He was re-arraigned before Justice Murtala Nyako in Abuja last Tuesday on charges of terrorism and treason, among others. The judge ruled that Kanu be remanded in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) till July 26.
Sunday Igboho’s Ibadan residence was raided on July 1 by a joint security team. Two of his aides were killed arms, ammunition, charms and other items were recovered.
In a statement by Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity Mallam Garba Shehu, the Presidency said: “Last week, we saw the enhanced collaboration of the Nigerian law enforcement agencies, as they executed with great synchronisation arrests of individuals who had inflicted pain and hardships on fellow citizens.
“The subversive leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), a group known for its murderous actions and virulent messaging was detained as a result of cross-border cooperation.
“This international operation was executed in a closely coordinated fashion following which he was handed over to our National Intelligence Agency (NIA), and then returned to Nigeria to face the Law.
“The violence inspired by IPOB has led to hundreds of fatalities, particularly targeted at government assets and law enforcement agents.
“Additionally, there have been at last count, fifty-five (55) separate violent attacks, heavily concentrated in the Southeast, which heaped further hardship on our honest and hardworking citizens, preventing them from earning their livelihood and going about their normal lives.
“The government had long been monitoring the activities of IPOB and had strong cause to believe that their funding sources include proceeds of suspected illicit criminal activities.
“By this singular action of our security forces, sanity, calm and peace had been returned to our communities who previously lived in constant fear of these misguided elements.
“In furtherance of continued diligent work, the Department of State Services (DSS) on Thursday, 1ST of July, raided the residence of a militant ethnic secessionist, who has also been conducting acts of terror and disturbing the peace under the guise of protecting fellow ‘kinsmen’.
“His seditious utterances and antics, which he is known to have publicly expressed, have over time morphed into very hateful and vile laden speeches.
“It must be highlighted that the government respects fundamental rights of citizens to express their views and recognises this as a democratic tenet.
“However, any attempt to build an armoury, coupled with plans either subtle or expressed, to undermine our unity as a nation will not be condoned.
“Mr. President’s directives to security services regarding anyone seen to be carrying arms, particularly AK-47, are clear and require no further illumination. Assault weapons are not tools of peace-loving people and as such, regardless of whom they are and where they are from the security agencies should treat them all the same.
“The successes of our security agencies must be commended as they have demonstrated significant deftness, guile, and secrecy in carrying out these missions. This level of professionalism must be sustained and brought to bear as we focus on extracting from our society those who have found a new trade-in targeting students, rural dwellers, and our citizens in the Northwest. The nation recognizes their efforts and sacrifice.”