Ebube Agu to tackle rising insecurity in Igbo land
Days after violent attacks that led to a prison break in Owerri, arsons and killings in Ebonyi, the Governors of the Southeast states have followed the example of their counterparts in the Southwest to form a regional security outfit called Ebube Agu.
The Governors said that Ebube Agu, which literally translates to Lion’s Glory, is primarily aimed at tackling security challenges in the region.
Below are 6 things you need to know about Ebube Agu
1. THE DECISION WAS TAKEN AT OWERRI ON SUNDAY: The five Southeast governors met at a security meeting in Owerri, Imo State capital, on Sunday, to announce the establishment of EBUBE AGU, which will have its headquarters in Enugu, the Enugu State capital.
- Advertisement -
In a communique at the end of the meeting, the Chairman of the South-East Governors Forum, Dave Umahi, expressed optimism that the development will boost security.
2. SOUTHEAST IS ON THE SAME PAGE WITH FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ON TACKLING INSECURITY: According to the communique, the Southeast Governors strongly condemned terrorism and banditry in any part of Nigeria, particularly in the Southeast and informed the federal government that despite forming a regional outfit, it is still on the same page in terms of tackling insecurity.
“That the five South-East states are on the same page with the federal government on the issue of security challenges in the country. To this end, the meeting makes it clear that the Southeast will stand resolutely with the federal government to fight terrorists and bandits to a finish,” the communique read.
3. THE POLITICAL LEADERSHIP IN THE REGION WILL COMMIT ALL RESOURCES TO MAINTAINING EBUBE AGU: Part of the meeting’s resolution is that, “the political leadership in the Southeast has resolved to bring together all the arsenals at their command, as one united zone, to fight and flush out criminals and terrorist from the zone”.
- Advertisement -
“That the summit resolved that to achieve this, there is a need to galvanise all the relevant stakeholders in the South-East, the political class, the business community, the bureaucrats and the intelligentsia to provide all necessary support to security operatives in the five south-east states to ensure total success in the fight against criminality in the zone,” the communique stated.
4. HEADS OF SECURITY AGENCIES IN SOUTHEAST TO EXCHANGE INTELLIGENCE WITH EBUBE AGU: According to the communique, “the heads of all the security agencies in the Southeast have resolved to exchange intelligence in a seamless, effective new order that will help to checkmate crime in the zone.
“That to fast-track crime-busting in the South-East, the heads of security agencies have been mandated to draw up a comprehensive list of their logistics and material needs for sustainable success in the fight against criminality, for the immediate provision by the leadership of the South-East.
- Advertisement -
5. SOUTHEAST SECURITY SUMMIT TO HOLD EVERY QUARTER: According to the communique, while there shall be a committee made up of security personnel, government officials and relevant stakeholders to coordinate and monitor the implementation of Ebube Agu, the Southeast security summit shall be a statutory summit that will convene every quarter. The hosting of the summit shall rotate among the five southeast states.
6. DEMANDS AN END TO IGP MONITORING UNITS INTO THE REGION: Part of the demands of the Governors is that the Acting Inspector General of Police, IGP to stop the influx of IGP monitoring units but to allow Commissioners of Police and state and zonal commands to handle their cases.
The meeting also approved that “the acting IGP and other security chiefs (should) invite the leadership of Ohaneze Ndigbo and Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN to find out the reason for increasing insecurity of the Southeast”.