Abeokuta Grammar School is 112-year old , having celebrated several achievements
Abeokuta Grammar School known as AGS for short is a prominent secondary school located in the Idi Aba area of Abeokuta, Ogun State.
The school was established in the year 1908 by the Abeokuta District Church Council.
The school was known around the world as different people from different parts of the world attended it.
Students from Asia, Europe, West Africa Coast, South Africa, and others from various of Nigerian attended the school.
Here, we have gathered 5 facts you probably never knew about the school;
1. The school produced A-grade students such that its form one students could compete with a form five students in any other school in the country. The school also produced some of Nigeria’s greatest talents in the entertainment industry presently. Some of them are; Tunde Kelani, Kizz Daniel, Fireboy, etc.
2. The school similarly produced Africa’s first Nobel laureate Prof Woke Soyinka. Other notable alumni from the school include; Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Okunade Sijuade, Josiah Majekodunmi, and many others.
3. The school could be said to be one of a kind as it saw notable personalities contribute to its building. The foundation stone of the Igbein site where the school was first located was laid by Sir Salter Edgerton, KCMA, the governor of the Southern Protectorate of Nigeria while the then Alake of Egbaland, Oba Gbadebo 1(1854 – 1920) dutifully carried the first stone for the laying of the foundation on 21st December 1910.
4. The school was at the Igbein site which started off with uncompleted classrooms where the first students took their lessons for a solid 65 years before it moved to the new site at Idi Aba in 1966 after the military coup d’etat of that year.
5. The school attained great heights as it participated in several competitions and excelled. Some of such competitions include; The Principal’s Cup, Alake Coronation, Empire’s Day Competition, etc. The school was also one of the very first to attain the level of an HSC school at the time in the whole of the country.