There are more creative ways of searching Google
Thought you knew how to search Google? We’ll find out at the end of this.
You probably have learnt how to open a web browser and punch in a few words when searching Google. But there is more to searching Google. There are advanced techniques that will liberate you in your search for that info hidden inside the web.
Here are some tricks you could use to get exactly what you want and save you some more time while conducting internet research.
1. SEARCH IMAGES USING IMAGES: If you want to know where an image is from, you can do a google search of the image just the way you search for texts.
You have to go to the search box, click on the camera icon. Google will bring out a box asking you to drag the image to the box or upload the image file from your picture folder.
Once you upload the image, Google will do a quick search and provides you the best guess of the origin of the photo, its size or what it’s all about, including articles and pages relating to it.
2. USE QUOTES TO SEARCH FOR AN EXACT PHRASE: This one is pretty simple. Imagine you are searching for an article on Nigeria Today that you have forgotten the title, just search for a phrase you can remember from the article enclosed in a quote.
A phrase in quotes will yield only pages with the same words in the same order as what’s in the quotes.
3. USE “DEFINE:” TO LEARN THE MEANING OF WORDS, INCLUDING SLANG: With Google, you can do away with the bulky Advanced Learners’ Dictionary. And instead of conducting a blanket search of a word, streamline the dictionary process by using “DEFINE:”.
For the sake of this, I typed in the Google search box, “DEFINE: hanky-panky” and the definition of the word popped up, including examples and synonyms.
But that is not all, Google will even sift the web to define slang words or acronyms such as SMH, bae.
You can try out “DEFINE: bae” or “DEFINE: OMG”.
- 3 reasons why Twitter sidelined Nigeria to locate Africa office in Ghana
- Nigerian fintech, Appzone raises $10 million Series A
- Nigeria lifts ban on new SIM registration
4. USE THE PLUS OR MINUS SIGN TO INCLUDE OR EXCLUDE RESULTS CONTAINING CERTAIN WORDS: If you happen to be searching for something and the results generated are not of interest to you, you can eliminate some specific unrelated terms from your search.
For example, “Nigerian vegetables -water leaf” will give you all the results containing list of Nigerian vegetables without water leaf.
So is the same for a search for Nigerian vegetables +okro. It will generate results of list of Nigerian vegetables including Okro. It’s that simple.
5. USE THE MIC ICON ON GOOGLE SEARCH’S SEARCH BAR TO GET A LOVE QUOTE: So, let’s say you are feeling a bit romantic this minute and would want to send your partner that heart-melting text, you can literally ask Google for a suitable romantic quote.
All you have to do is tap the microphone icon on the search bar and say “give me a love quote”.
The love quote generator is a feature released by Google in 2016 for those in need of a little romance.
Did you find this article useful? Share it.