Tony Elumelu is from Delta state
Renowned philanthropist Chairman of Heirs Holding and entrepreneur, Tony Elumelu clocks 58 today. Here are 10 things about him:
- Tony Onyemaechi Elumelu is a Nigerian economist, entrepreneur and philanthropist who was born in Jos, Plateau State on 22 March 1963
- He hails from Onicha-Ukwu in Aniocha North Local Government Area of Delta State. He has two degrees in economics from Nigerian universities, a bachelor’s degree from Ambrose Alli University and a master of science degree from the University of Lagos.
- He was raised by entrepreneur parents. His mother Suzanne Elumelu owned a restaurant while is father is Dominic Elumelu
- He is the chairman of Heirs Holdings, the United Bank for Africa, Transcorp and founder of The Tony Elumelu Foundation.
- Elumelu started his career in Union Bank as a Youth Corp member of the National Youth Service Corps in 1985. In his early career, he acquired Standard Trust Bank in 2005, and United Bank for Africa (UBA) was acquired afterward.
- He founded Heirs Holdings 2010 which invests in the financial services, energy, real estate and hospitality, agribusiness, and healthcare sectors after his retirement from UBA.
- In 2011, Heir Holdings went ahead to procure a controlling interest in Transnational Corporation of Nigeria (TRANSCORP)
- In the same year, he established the Tony Elumelu Foundation, an Africa-based and African-funded philanthropic organisation.
- One of his four siblings is a politician Hon. Ndudi Elumelu who used to be a member of the House of Representatives.