Former governor of Lagos Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu clocks 69
The All Progressive Congress (APC) national leader Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu turns 69 today. Here are 10 incredible things you need to know about the man that many refer to Nigeria’s most powerful kingmaker:
1. Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu was born March 29, 1952 in Osun state
2. His mother is late Abibatu Mogaji who was the previous Iyaloja of Lagos, a post now held by Tinubu’s daughter Folashade Tinubu-Ojo
3. He attended St. John’s Primary School, Aroloya, Lagos, and Children’s Home School in Ibadan, South West of Nigeria then proceeded to the United States in 1975, where he studied first at Richard J. Daley College in Chicago, Illinois, and then at Chicago State University where he graduated in 1979 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting.
4. After graduation, Tinubu worked for Arthur Andersen, Deloitte, Haskins, & Sells, and GTE Services Corporation then in 1983 he joined Mobil Oil Nigeria and later became an executive of the company.
5. He began his political career in 1992 when he joined the Social Democratic Party. He was a founding member of the pro-democracy National Democratic Coalition
6. He once went on exile in 1994 and returned to the country in 1998 after the death of military dictator Sani Abacha
He was governor of Lagos for 8 years from 1999 elections to 2007 under Alliance for Democracy (AD) with Kofoworola Bucknor as his deputy in the first four-term and Femi Pedro the second term
8. He holds the titles of Asiwaju of Lagos and the Jagaban of the Borgu Kingdom in Niger State, Nigeria
9. He is blessed with three children: Oluwaseyi Tinubu, Abibat Tinubu and Folashade Tinubu (Iyaloja General).
10. Jagaban is rumored to be interested in contesting for presidency in 2023.