Buhari’s “powerful” nephew, Mamman Duara clocks 80 today; 5 things you need to know about him
Mamman Daura is one of the oldest journalists in Nigeria who was appointed the editor of the New Nigerian Newspaper.
Share this news
Malam Mamman Daura, the man who has been described in some quarters as Nigeria's most powerful nephew, turns 80 years today.
Many people in this generation have heard little to nothing about him.
Here are 5 things you need to know about the influential great-grandfather.
1. He Is A Veteran Journalist: Mamman Daura is one of the oldest journalists in Nigeria who was appointed the editor of the New Nigerian Newspaper, few months after completing his graduate degree in Dublin, according to Wikipedia.
He would later become the managing director of the Paper Holding Company, and at some point, the chairman of the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA.
2. He Is Older Than President Buhari: What is out in the public domain is that Mamman Daura is the nephew of President Muhammadu Buhari. But many do not know that he is older than President Buhari. So, he could be regarded as his young uncle as he is the son of Buhari's older brother.
3. He Has Endured In The Corridors of Power: Many may remember Mamman Daura because of his influence on today's presidency, but he is not new to the corridors of power. In fact, he started in the mid-70s when he worked in the office of Abba Kyari who was then the military governor of the north-central state.
4. He Was Also A Banker: Mamman Daura was a board member of BCCI’s Nigerian affiliate African international bank and he was also a former chairman of the now-defunct Nigeria bank of Commerce and Industry.
5. Mamman Daura Lives In Aso Rock Villa: Upon election as President of Nigeria in 2015, Daura moved in with president Muhammad Buhari into the Aso Rock Villa alongside his family.
Share this new