6 Important things Lagos police command wants to do in 2020
Crime rate in Lagos State drastically reduced from November 2019 to January 2020 as the Police arrested 114 armed robbery suspects and successfully foiled 72 armed robbery attempts.
Share this news
Lagos CP Hakeem Odumosu addresses the media
When Mr Hakeem Odumosu became the Commissioner of Police in Lagos in November 2019, the first major challenge he met was traffic gridlocks in different parts of the state.
Before his appointment, Lagosians had been groaning as the traffic had a strong link with traffic-related crimes such as traffic robbery.
He declared a state of emergency on traffic and followed it up with the deployment of an additional 1000 policemen for traffic duties. The Command also reviewed their reporting and closing time to 10 am and 10 pm against the initial 6 am and 6 pm so as to meet up with traffic peak periods.
His meeting with other stakeholders in security and traffic management also led to an agreement on multi agencies collaborations which have since produced results.
The CP is encouraged by the results and on Wednesday, January 8, met with the media at the Command Headquarters, Ikeja to share some of his policing plans for the new year.
The policing plan for 2020 includes:
1. Full implementation of Community-based policing policies and strategies that will close the gaps between the police and the people, foster cordial relationship and build strong and effective partnerships.
2. Visibility policing and prompt response to distress calls
3. Intelligence-led policing approach, professional and unbiased investigation of criminal cases and diligent prosecution.
4. Respect for and protection of human rights and zero tolerance for corruption.
5. Multi agencies collaboration
6. Capacity building for Officers and Men of the Command and enhanced welfare package.
“It is worthy to note that, the crime rate in Lagos State has drastically reduced within the period under review. From November 2019 to date, the Command arrested 114 armed robbery suspects and successfully foiled 72 armed robbery attempts.
“Seven armed robbery suspects died during an exchange of fire with the Police. Forty-six suspects were arrested for cultism. Three suspects were arrested for kidnapping and 82 suspects were arrested for murder.
“The state recorded nine cases of suicide. 25 assorted firearms with lots of ammunition of different calibre were recovered. The Command also recovered 11 stolen vehicles,” he told the media.
He then called on residents of the state to further collaborate with the police to keep the big city safe.
Share this new